Saturday, June 14, 2008

Our Garden Post

I know so many of you have posted pictures of your garden!(Sorry Aimee, but read on anyway:). Well, we also planted a garden this year like we have every year for about 4 years!! This year though we decided to plant it much bigger since we are out here in the country!! We have big aspirations to become farmers, homesteaders or just feel like we can keep something alive for a season!! It took us all of one weekend to till, plant, fertilize and put weed barrier down on our 3x12 plot. We were so proud when we were done!! We had planted tomatoes, cucumbers, okra, zucchini, green, red, yellow and jalapeno peppers, onions, squash, watermelon, cantaloupe and honey dew, romaine and red-tipped lettuce, whew!!! Yes, we were terribly over ambitious this year. Steve also started his line of grapes for his vineyard too. I really don't know what we were thinking!! All of our talk about the tv show "Jericho" and our compound that we need to fortify(if you are wondering what I am talking about, email me and I will explain :) made us want to try to sustain ourselves with our veggies for at least the summer!!

However and I know you know where this is going, the spring and early summer has been exceptionally volatile. Lots of heavy rain, wind, hail and the drainage problem our land has had really effected our garden. Not to mention the little rabbit that has made his home in our shed and has become very fat and happy off of our lettuce. We became a little discouraged and that lead to us becoming a lot neglectful!

Well, I can admit defeat and I am not ashamed!! Our garden has been a total loss this year!! Our plants are leggy and weak, our lettuce has been chewed on by a rabbit and none of our peppers have matured!! I have managed to pick about 4 green tomatoes and plan to make fried green tomatoes for my dad this weekend! So all this to say we think we are done homesteading and going to leave the farming to the experts or at least those who are willing to stick it out to see a garden through. I truly wanted this to be a family endeavor but the kids were not in the least bit interested! I guess you can't make them enjoy something that you really don't either!!! Besides, there is this really sweet lady that lives up the street that grows her own organic veggies and sells them at a great price. Steve said he just wants to stick with her!!

These are pix of our only plants that MAY produce....




3 comments:

Life with the Akin Clan said...

welcome to the world of people who cannot farm! Membership is free and you have already supplied the neccesary pics to allow you in. Enjoy! (everyone else's labor!) ;-)

TexasNeals said...

i think it's great that you keep trying. don't give up....just scale back! if the tomatoes are successful this year add one more veggie. don't give up...it's too rewarding. (this from a girl who is slowly loosing all her produce!) HA! check my blog for a pityful update on our garden. :)

Stephanie said...

The ants have attacked (and worms too) all of our squash plants. One by one I pluck them out of the earth. :( I also made the enormous mistake and planted roma tomatoes. I knew what I was doing at the time and just didn't think about it. I figure this is a practice year and we'll try again next year. I say don't give up either. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin