
One of the main reasons I like having my own garden is because I love fried green tomatoes or maters to the Howard family!!! Green tomatoes are hard to find unless you pick them yourself. I have found some at the Farmers Market in Longview from time to time but for the most part, if I don't grow em', I don't get em'.
This year, since green tomatoes is about all I am going to get from my garden, I decided to pick them all and make mess for my dad for Father's Day. We share the love of all food that is fried. Somehow I managed to marry a man who is from Colorado and does not appreciate fried cuisine like a good Southerner should!! He doesn't even like peach cobbler!! I know what some of you are thinking, how does your marriage work? I have learned to somewhat overlook his shortcomings in this area and even sometimes cook sauerkraut for him, yuck!!! It must be love!!!
Anyway, back to my tomatoes!! I wasn't sure what to get my dad as a gift, so I cooked for him!! That's what he really likes anyway!! He ate practically the whole plate before dinner.
For all of you that have never tried fried green tomatoes, I decided to include my fail safe recipe:
* 4 to 6 green tomatoes, sliced 1/4-inch thick
* salt and pepper
* flour for dusting
* 2 eggs, beaten
* cornmeal or bread crumbs(I use white cornmeal)
* bacon grease or vegetable oil(bacon grease is the best!!!)
Salt and pepper the tomato slices; dust lightly with flour. Dip slices in beaten egg, letting excess drip off, then coat well with meal or crumbs. Fry in hot grease or oil until browned, turning gently (about 3 minutes each side). Keep warm in a low 200 to 250 degree oven in frying batches. Sometimes I add a little cayenne pepper to spice them up!!
YUM!! YUM!!!YUM!!! You can not call yourself a true southerner until you have tried them!!
4 comments:
HA! cute post. i'm not sure i could sacrifice the prospect of a delicious, ripe, juicy, sweet, red, homegrown tomato?!?! you have certainly peaked my curiosity. i mean, my word, they must be worth tryin' if they would name an entire movie after them!?! maybe if my plants are still producing after i get my fill of the red ones i'll try some. ;)
btw, i thought that was a sweet and perfect gift.
I'm glad you posted the recipe because I've been meaning to try them. Ever since the movie (which I loved at the time)I have wanted to try them and everybody seems to be talking about them these days. I've got lots of green tomatoes too so I must try.
We bought some green tomatoes at the farmer's market the other day, but I didn't know how to make them! I was going to do the buttermilk and cornmeal that we use for frying pickles. Thanks for the recipe!!
I tried them tonight and well ... I think I might stick to red tomatoes. Granted I didn't use bacon grease which would have been loads better so I might try it again. I'll just have to taste one of yours sometime.
Post a Comment