Monday, January 30, 2012
No More Soda :(
In my quest for wellness, definitely giving up diet drinks is a huge obstacle that I have to overcome. The above cartoon pretty much sums it up for me. Yep... I am an addict!! I would not be exaggerating if I said that I can drink at least 36 oz a day and not even think about it. Now, I justify that by drinking a lot of water too but I know that it is toxic to my body. Not only am I introducing all kinds of chemicals to my system, it dehydrates me as well as make me crave unhealthy food.
Now I didn't grow up drinking much soda of any kind. Soda was reserved for vacations of special occasions. We NEVER kept it in our house. I didn't ask my mom for a soda at a restaurant or even think about getting upset if she said no. I knew that it was a luxury only. My soda addiction started in college when freedom came into the picture!!
Now fast forward to my own children and their habits. I have justified their addiction because of my own. My kids have been begging for "Happy Hour" at Sonic since they could speak. I would want my fix and knowing that if I said they couldn't have one because it was "bad" for them would mean I shouldn't either, I would push down that nagging conscious and get them one.... almost every day!!! Now my kids get upset if they ask for a soda and I say no. They always come back with either, "I haven't had one today or I have only had one today!"
Really? When did soda become a right? So when I get upset at that response, I have no one to blame but myself! I did this to them because of my own weakness.
Well, things have changed around here over the last 2 weeks. I can officially say that I have not had a soda of any kind for 17 days. Amazingly when I set my mind to it, it really hasn't been that hard. I find myself drinking about 64 oz of water a day with an occasional unsweetened tea. The boys process is a little bit slower. I am allowing them one a day until we run out of our stockpile and then it will be only on occasion.
I think this is a huge step toward wellness. Click on my recipe tab for a sparkling recipe that has helped me get my "fizzy" soda fix.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
.jpg)
4 comments:
Good for you for quitting soda!!! I stopped drinking soda for about 16 months. I started craving water! I love water now and I bet you will too the longer you go without soda!!
Ashley
ashleypride.blogspot.com
I have successfully given up a diet coke addiction of about 64 oz. a day. One thing I still do is go with my friends to Sonic and get a huge water with lots of lemon. This way I still have my mini social outing. If we go during the 2 for 1 Happy Hour I don't feel too bad for paying for what I can get for free at home. Okay the styrofoam waste is not good but hey I am not drinking the diet coke. One step at a time.
I know you can do it!
Laura! I'm right there with you! I'm so trying to cut out all sugar from my diet...i seem to have one taste of anything sweet and I turn into a ravenous beast combing the house for anything that is sweet!... It must stop! Diet Soda is on my list of no no's too. Thanks for sharing!
Way to go! I don't drink soda, but I crave sugar. I've been trying to cut back, and making progress, but I know I could do better. Your post makes me think I should just do it!
And, btw, I'm impressed that you're blogging with a new little one in the house. Way to go Mom! =)
Rebecca =)
http://1001ThingsToBeHappyAbout.blogspot.com
Post a Comment