
So... I have heard of Falafel but have NEVER been brave enough to try it. Our neighbors lead a Messianic Jewish church here in town. They follow Levitical law and eat kosher. I have often thought I that I could not live without pork but the few things I have tried that the Gililan family have made have been wonderful substitutions for pork.
Ethan came home from drama camp last night and asked to go over to his friend, Beth Rose, house. He came home with this absolutely yummy smelling pita stuffed something. He said, "Wanna try Falafel?" My reaction, "Fa-what-fel?" He said "It's some kind of bean rolled up in a ball and fried." I said "Fried? I'm in!!" What it actually was, was grilled chicken, sauteed eggplant, falafel and lettuce wrapped in a pita. And it was scrumptious!!
I had to look up the recipe. So, if like me, you want to know what the heck the Falafel craze (is there such a thing) is, check out this yummy recipe. Maybe I can actually get my husband to eat some variety of bean with this one!
Ingredients:
- Falafel * See recipe below
- Tahini Sauce* See recipe below or store bought ( or I was told you can use ranch dressing)
- 6 pita bread loaves
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 onion sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, finey chopped
- 1/4 cup sandwich pickles (optional) ~ Like it said, they used chicken and eggplant
Preparation:
Wash and chop vegetables according to recipe. Set aside.Prepare falafel or use falafel mix.
Heat large frying pan or griddle to medium high heat. Spray with cooking oil or coat with about 1 tablespoon olive oil. Heat pita for 2 minutes on each side. The pita may begin to brown a little.
Stuff pita with falafel and vegetables. Drizzle with tahini sauce.
Enjoy to your heart's delight or until your belt busts!!
3 comments:
Wow, it does look so good!
I will have to check on that one for sure
Ummmm Yummmmm, I want some fa-what-fel:D
you're making me cry. i haven't had any decent falafel since i was in israel... almost 10 years ago!
Post a Comment