Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Fish Tacos

stock photo

Okay... I have heard for years about fish tacos. Personally they sounded disgusting to me but I hear rave reviews about them. It really has never occurred to me to make some at home. I am NOT a fish fan. I like an occasional meal of fried or blackened catfish from our local Cajun restaurant but for the most part I don't like it! Especially if its going to smell my house up!



A few weeks ago, I joined a Frugal Mom Meal planning website. Every week I am sent a whole weeks worth of meals that usually cost $60 or less for the week. They plan all of the meals and sides but make up a shopping list for me! It's dummy proof and all I am left planning for is breakfast and snacks!! Its' great!!



So...on the menu this week was fish tacos. I was a little nervous about these b/c Steve and I had already discussed that these sounded a little gross. We are die hard Tex/Mex fans and tacos are made with beef not fish. Most fish taco recipes are made with fish sticks!! But it was on the menu and so I thought "What the heck... I'll try anything once".



Here is the recipe:



1/2 c. sour cream

1/2 c. mayonnaise

1/4 c. chopped fresh cilantro

1 (1.25 oz) pkg of taco seasoning mix, divided or homemade equivalent (I make mine homemade)

1 lb firm fish fillets, cut into 1" pieces ( I used Tilapia)

2 Tbsp oil

2 Tbsp. lemon juice

12 corn tortillas, warmed (I used Jalapeno & Cheddar flour instead...Yummy)

shredded cabbage

chopped tomato

Taco Sauce or salsa



Combine sour cream, mayo, cilantro and 2 Tbsp of taco seasoning in a small bowl. Mix oil, lemon juice and remaining seasoning then combine with fish pieces, place into a large skillet over medium heat, cook stirring constantly, for 4 to 5 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with fork. Fill tortillas with fish mixture. Top with cabbage, tomato and sour cream mixture and taco sauce if desired. Very fast and easy!!



Result.... they smelled WONDERFUL cooking. Very rich and spicy! My kids loved them, Steve liked them and I did not care for them much! Even with all of that spice, I could still taste too much fish! I will probably make them again b/c my boys liked them so much but they will definitely not be a regular menu item. At least I can say I have tried them!



So why am I posting a recipe that I did not like? I have no idea!! Maybe your family will like them!!




6 comments:

The Peacock Pearl said...

i used the menus4moms for a few weeks, but i couldn't afford all the meals since i was buying the organic equivalent of all the items. but it's still great for ideas!

Stephanie said...

I was with you regarding fish tacos until Sherene made them once. They were pretty good. I'm not sure I'd make them but I did enjoy them.

Kim said...

Being from New Orleans, I'm not stranger to fish. However, the idea of it in a taco just seems wrong.

I bet my husband would like it though. Perhaps I will give it a try anyway (I feel like the Green Eggs and Ham book).

Five Moms & A Blog said...

Yummy!!! Those sound awesome. If only the hubs ate fish, I would be on them for dinner tonight!!!

Thanks for being such as great sport about the Country thing...I lived in Louisiana for 3 years as a kid and it still comes out sometimes!!!

Jeet those fish tacos???? LOL.

We love your comments!
Tarah

DarcyLee said...

My husband would love these. He's a die-hard fisherman and we've had many, many fish meals, mostly fried. But he does love fish tacos, too.

Pilar said...

I am not a fish person either. I marinate tilapia once a week to hide the taste because I know my kids need to eat it and so do i but.......

You are right though, tacos aare suppossed to have meat and not fish :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin