I posted on my foster/adoption blog about my concerns for the plight of boys in the foster care system. But the problem is not just in the "system". I see boyhood and in turn our future manhood being attacked in general at every turn.
Behaviors that used to be considered normal and acceptable for boys is being labeled " hyper" or "attention deficit". The mere fact that boys by nature from the time they can walk pretend any thing can be a gun is not deviant behavior but God given. The fact that I have seen little boys that had never even seen a gun let alone had a toy one, pretend to bite their PB&J's into a gun is proof if their inherent nature to pretend.
Why is that wrong? Little boys should be able to run wild outside, fight with swords, rescue maidens, get dirty and just play unhindered.
We desperately seem to want boys to "calm down", to play quietly, to sit still. I am sorry, it's just not possible for them. It is outside of their nature.
Statistically, boys are four times more likely to be prescribed Ritalin than girls and three times more likely to be labeled ADD. (www.protectingourboys.org) I read on another site that the 85% of all Ritalin manufactured worldwide is consumed in the United States. Those are staggering statistics.
Our society here in America is trying to feminize our sons. Why? To what end?
Just thinking...

3 comments:
You have summed up my thoughts exactly... Tommy and I have determined to let our boys be BOYS. Thank you for your encouragement!
I think you have summed it up! We all want things to be simple and clean and well life just isn't, especially with boys. They NEED to be dirty and complicated and sometimes loud (ooh. that is a hard one for me) and we need to allow them the freedom to do so. I just read an article that says we are hindering our children academically because we are trying to TEACH them too early and we are forcing them to go against nature by making them sit perfectly still and DO SCHOOL at early ages. They need (especially boys) to run and play and create and cause messes! I wonder if this is why most home school children are out performing others in many cases? You need to post this on Breaking Hearts Building Families. Food for thought! Thanks!
i couldn't agree more. i have a 3 year old son who is on the smaller side...people always think i am not going to let him play rough because i wouldn't want him to get hurt. i don't want him to get hurt...but i know that he needs to be able to play rough if he is going to grow into the man that God has created him to be. so he plays and i pray... :) God bless you!
Post a Comment