Monday, October 11, 2010

Take Me Home Country Road...

To the place, I belong. Can't you just hear John Denver's song in your head now. You will be singing it all day :)


Most of you know that I love being a country girl. I hate the big city. All of the noise and rushin' around, rude people and busy lifestyle. Not that I don't keep myself crazy busy but it's a different kind of busy. A slower busy if that makes sense.

I have to say that I just had one of the best weeks of my life!! I really mean that. It was so great! Not only did my hubby get 4 whole days off in a row, we went with some great friends, the Akins, on a fabulous respite to the Ozark mountains. We left on a Sunday after church and came home LATE Thursday evening. But I do have to back up a couple of days before that b/c my good time really started on Thursday of the week before.

My mom and I went to Canton early Thursday morning. If you have never been, you must go!! Its junky fun as Isaac says!! It is the biggest and best flea market EVER. We spent about 6 hours just walking around and enjoying the culture that only an East Texas flea market can give.
I got these two things.

An antique caddy for my homeschool table that will hold all of the boys pencils, scissors, markers, etc. I saw one on a homeschool website and loved the idea.

And I got two of the school benches for my kitchen table. They look really small but are surprisingly comfortable. They match my table perfectly!!


We spent most our time talking with this cute elderly couple who were selling Victrolas. For some unknown reason, Ethan loves old Phonographs. He remembered them from our last visit to Canton and so he rushed straight to their booth this time too. They were incredibly gracious to my boys and explained everything from their origin to the mechanisms inside. They even invited Ethan to their workshop in Frankston to teach him to put one together. I love the older generation! There is such a graciousness and hospitality that we don't see much of anymore!!



Friday was spent schooling and getting ready for our trip. But Saturday was another adventure. It started with soccer pictures in the morning followed by a game. Lunch and then our very first Civil War Re-enactment!! We have good friends at our new church that participate in re-enactments as a hobby. They are so great and fun and so when they invited us, we had to go!!

Miguel and Felicia

It was so great! The authenticity of the battle site, the costumes, the campsites and the people were amazing! This is done with sincerity and the highest respect for perserving history. As a history buff, I was fascinated for sure!! My family along with several others from our church joined together to cheer on the 12th Texas platoon as Miguel and his friends fought to the death:)

Picture of me and girls from church. I had to add this because there is a "Where's Waldo" effect to this one. If you find him, that is our beloved pastor!

Felicia, me, Alisha and Carrie


There were bangs from the guns as well as explosions from the cannons!


Miguel Fighting


Every time a cannon would fire there would be these cool smoke rings


Casualties of War


Finally the Yanks surrender!!


After the show, some of the guys let the kids sit on their horses


Ethan trying out Miguel's rifle


My dad went with us and it was a scorcher!



It was such a fun day that we are already planning to see him fight in Mansfield, LA soon!

So Sunday was our big day to head out. We packed the car full and after church headed north to the Ozark Folk Center in Mountain View, AR. Why there you ask? This was my all time favorite vacation as a kid!! I can't explain exactly why but it was so memorable. There is Bluegrass music, an authentic folk village, crafts (real crafts not gluing and pasting) but real craftsmen, and a restaurant that serves the best apple butter you have ever eaten!! It is fantastic!! I could live there full time for sure!!

We got there Sunday evening and unpacked our things in our cabin. We stayed in a duplex sharing the other side with my mom. She didn't drive up with us, she had been there a couple of days before attending a herb seminar!!



The boys were attending a 3 day camp the next day that is offered for homeschoolers every year. They learn a variety of fun things! Pasta making, paper folding, tie-dying, soap sculpting, candle making and do an oral family history. There were only about 9 kids in the class so the boys had a great opportunity to learn some neat things!

First Day of Camp



Isaac and Abi playing on the green space during break time


Ethan playing an old game


Working on our oral family history


Paper folding resulted in these cool hats ;)


Mrs. Mary was a super teacher for them



While the boys were in class, Steve and I got to spend some great time together. We had breakfast with the Akins, walked around the quaint small town of Mountain View,


and had coffee and pie at a great cafe all in just the first day!!



Whew!! This post is really long already and I haven't even gotten to our time in the village yet and our next three days of vacation! I guess I will save that one for the next post!!


4 comments:

TexasNeals said...

this could possibly be my favorite post ever. i feel like i was there! sounds like such a neat place!! can't wait to hear all about the rest of the vacation.
glad you're back :)

TexasNeals said...

oh, and i love, love, love the caddie and benches!!!!

Jessi -in love with her family of four said...

Meeee toooooo:D Love them. It makes me want to go to the mountains:D

The Cornett Family said...

I just read your post from yesterday and today. Wow!..Thanks for sharing!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin