I have to share my heart with you. So bare with me....
This election more than anyone else has weighed so heavy on mind. I am not sure if that is because I am at the age where I understand better than ever the ramifications of our actions when choosing leadership to not only our country but my family and friends or that for the first time I can really see our freedoms and rights being challenged. I make no bones about the fact that Obama scares me to death. Regardless of the fact that he has no real experience to speak of, he holds firm to beliefs and morals that are diabolically opposed to mine. He challenges my religious freedoms as well as trivializes human life, the right to defend my home, the sanctity of marriage and my ability to care for myself and my family without government intervention. I have watched and listened to the media so much lately that I am truly exhausted!! This election has completely worn me out. I don't think I even want to watch TV anymore because of all of the campaign commercials and liberal spin.
All of that to say, I think we as a country are at a fork in the road. In a little less than a month our country will either vote for a man that somewhat stands for God and country or a man that could lead us down a path of destruction. I have been praying for our leaders and my children more in the past few months than ever before. I think it is so important as Christians that we understand who we are voting for and against. We need to stand firm in our values and morals. We need to choose leaders that will at least allow us to freely voice our beliefs without persecution. I believe that God chooses our leaders and puts them into power.
"Daniel answered and said, Blessed be the name of God for
ever and ever: for wisdom and might are his: And he changeth
the times and the seasons: he removeth kings, and setteth up
kings: he giveth wisdom unto the wise, and knowledge to them
that know understanding:"
Daniel 2:20-21, KJV
ever and ever: for wisdom and might are his: And he changeth
the times and the seasons: he removeth kings, and setteth up
kings: he giveth wisdom unto the wise, and knowledge to them
that know understanding:"
Daniel 2:20-21, KJV
This was sent to me in an email and I think it is worth your time.
Another 'vote' taken by NOW on PBS expecting that their 80% liberal viewers will dominate. Let's prove that wrong. Send to every non-liberal you know. Let's get some balance into the voting group.
This is the easiest vote you will ever make. It takes literally two seconds. Let's turn this around!!! PBS has a short video on Sarah Palin on their website. Also included is a poll that asks: Is Sarah Palin qualified to be VP? I logged on yesterday and 37% percent had voted YES, 62% NO. A day later the vote is 48% Yes and 51% No. What a difference a day makes. Let's keep it turning around..... You don't have to give your name or email address in order to vote. It's very simple.
Here's the link: http://www.pbs.org/now/polls/poll-435.html
4 comments:
Hey Laura, I know you've probably lost respect for me after finding out that we are Obama supporters but I hope it doesn't cause a division. It scares me to death that Ted posted his thoughts on our blog. It has been brutal being a democrat here in Texas because of the hurtful words people speak about the subject. I think personally the words themselves (democrat/republican) have become divisive so just the mention of it brings about anger. I've never been sold out in that sense so I can't say I completely understand it. The part that I have a hard time with is when our faith becomes political. It doesn't make sense to me when I hear people say that you can't be a Christian if you are democrat. I've struggled with this and have felt so alone and isolated regarding this topic. As a true worshiper and follower of Jesus Christ it's persecution. I can disagree with an opponent but it would never occur to me to challenge their faith because of how they vote. I'm not trying to put these things on you I'm just sharing some of the hurtful things I've experienced over the years. So often I would love to talk about some of these topics that differ with republicans and democrats but I'm too scared to even broach the subject because I've heard so many awful comments. I just think if a fellow Christian is feeling these things what must the unbeliever feel?
I struggle with how two people of the same faith could be so drastic in opinion. I'm not talking about you and me, just in general. God created each of us, he gave each of us the convictions we carry, how then can we be so different? My first thought is that it's probably a good thing. If we all had the same conviction we would be void in some area but since good willed people do have differences of conviction there must be a reason for it and God must be using each of these convictions to carry out his plans and purposes. If Obama is the anti- Christ then it's willed to be and we'll endure what we are supposed to endure. If not, and he becomes president, then changes will be made and that will be scary just because it's different than what it is now and change in that sense is always a bit scary.
I respect you for your thoughts and your fears because they are genuine and they are yours. Please know that I had no ill intent in writing these thoughts.
Stephanie,
I thank you for your honesty. I don't call myself a Republican either. I call myself a conservative. I in no way will challenge your Christianity b/c of the way you vote!! That is not my job at all.
I do not believe in the things that Obama claims about abortion, gun control, economy, etc. Therefore I am not voting for him. Does that make me a better Christian. Absolutely not! I am voting my conscience and my values. I am sorry that people can be cruel! I don't think a difference of opinion means that we can't still be friends!
I believe God is in control completely. You are right that whomever becomes President is up to Him/ That gives me comfort!!
Thanks again for your comments!!
Great discussion, Laura. I appreciate your thoughts so much on your blog. This election has also weighed very very very heavily on my heart. The sermon yesterday was so pertinent to what we are going through as a country. I also agree we are at a fork in the road, and I wonder how long God will look upon our nation with any notion of tolerance. He must be disgusted with how far we have come in a couple of hundred years. Our nation was founded on HIS principles and we as a nation have wandered so far from that and are so desensitized to all the issues that have come up in our lifetime that are probably deplorable to Him, yet we have accepted as them norm. (terrible run on sentences..sorry) All that to say, thank you for praying for our country everyday, and I need to be more vigilant to do the same thing on a very daily basis. Our children's futures and ours as well are at steak, and if we do not start standing up for what is right, our nation will continue to wander, and God will judge us at some point. We shouldn't stand up for Him because we are afraid of judgment but because we love Him with all our hearts and desire the same things He desires. I know I could go on and on, but I just really appreciate this post. Cute pic of the boys too!
I keep thinking of these 2 verses when praying for our country.
Psalm 33:12
"Blessed is the nation whose God is the LORD, The people whom He has chosen for His own inheritance."
AND
Isaiah 1:4
"Ah, sinful nation,a people loaded with guilt,a brood of evildoers,
children given to corruption! They have forsaken the LORD;they have spurned the Holy One of Israel
and turned their backs on him."
and the rest of the first book of Isaiah!!
I don't think we understand the urgency of our need to raise up our leaders. I am not ready to give up and turn our children over to a Godless country. We are heading that way fast. No matter who is President!! Society is NOT getting better!
Thanks Mer for the encouraging words!!
Now, let's pray!!
Post a Comment